Wednesday, August 25, 2004

What's money? Money is a Hershey bar. Or a motel room. Or a Ferrari. Or maybe it's nothing at all.

I think back to when I was a kid, we were dirt poor. I remember cutting-out a photo of a Hershey bar from an ad and thinking how badly I wanted it. At times it seemed in all the world I wanted nothing more than for that picture to be a real Hershey bar. Perhaps it drove all my future ambitions, wanting that stupid candy bar.

Now I can buy as many as I want - and I have, sure, I've bought a case of Hershey bars (haven't you?). Ya know what, it didn't do much for me. I got the impression that a truckload wouldn't do any more.

A chocolate bar's about what, $0.65 nowadays? I'm puzzled by the fact that $65 worth of chocolate won't serve the desires that might once have been appeased by 1/100th that. What happened?

Somewhere there's a little boy with a picture of a Hershey bar in his pocket. The loose change under my couch is enough to quench his wants. Or is it?

Somewhere a man is panhandling outside a Wal-Mart for the $65 he needs to put his family in a motel room for the night. 1/10th of my 'liquid' fund is enough to quench his wants. Or is it?

Somewhere under Bill Gates' couch is $65,000 in loose change. Would that quench someone's desires for a (cheap) Ferrari? Would that make someone happy?

Somehow I doubt it...

...but I'm going to wander around town today giving-out Hershey bars
...ya know, just in case. :)

PS: You know what, maybe you could find that guy outside Wal Mart and buy him a sandwich or a case of Hershey bars or baby food. Yeah, that'd be a solid deal.